1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, finely diced
1 tsp ginger, grd
1 tsp cumin seed, grd
1 tsp turmeric, grd
1 Lt vegetable stock
1 large carrot (160g), grated
250g celery, sliced
1 kumara (~200gm), quartered and sliced
1 apple, peeled and grated
1/2 cup split red lentils
1 tsp salt to season (if using homemade stock)
sprigs of fresh coriander
toasted shredded coconut
1. In a large saucepcan, add the oil and heat.
2. Add the onion and sweet for a few minutes on medium heat.
4. Slowly add 1 cup of the vegetable stock, and stir through the onions and spices.
5. Add the vegetables and lentils.
6. Add the remaining stock and bring to the bring.
7. Stir and reduce heat to a simmer.
8. Cook for approximately 20 minutes and then add the grated apple.
9. Cook for a further 10-15 minutes until all vegetables are tender.
10. Add the coconut milk, stir and season to taste.
11. Serving suggestions; serve topped with sprigs of fresh coriander and a sprinkle of toasted shredded coconut and naan bread.
Curried Lentil Soup
A month-long meal planner for low-cost family meals >>